|Tom Yam Soup
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||theresaheadinit [ Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:24 am ]|
|Post subject:||Tom Yam Soup|
2 X Pints of chicken stock (fresh, cubes, gels, all work well)
3 X sticks of lemon grass (cut them in half horizontally and then crush/bruise them with the back of your knife)
3 X fresh coriander roots, crushed (use 2 handfuls of chopped leaves instead)
2 X inch piece of fresh galangal, peeled and thinly sliced 1-2mm (use 1 inch of fresh ginger instead)
6 X Cherry tomatoes cut into quarters (use 2 ripe normal tomatoes diced into cubes)
12 X Kaffir lime leaves (can use a handful of dried leaves)
3 X Mushrooms sliced (can use dried ones)
2 X Limes - juice only (can use bottled juice)
1 X Red chilli finely chopped (use the chilli you like the hotness of)
2 tsp of Tamarind paste or pulp
2 tbls of fish sauce (nam pla), (or to your taste)
1 tsp of Palm sugar (or to your taste, you can use Demerara sugar )
Your choice of a good handful of fresh raw prawns (can use pre-cooked also) or 1 fresh raw chicken breast thinly sliced to 5mm thick or other meat / veg.
1. Place / make the stock in the pan and bring to the boil
2. Add the lemongrass, coriander, galangal/ginger, tomatoes, lime leaves, mushroom, lime juice, tamarind paste and chilli, bring back to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Taste the stock and add the fish sauce and sugar, trying to keep the salty / sour / hot /sweet taste.
4. Add the fresh prawns and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until the prawns change colour. Or if adding raw chicken boil for a further 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked or slightly less to warm up pre-cooked cold chicken)
5. Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of fresh coriander on the top, and a wedge of fresh lime
6. Note 1: You just spoon the broth from the bowl, just eat the liquid, chicken, mushroom and tomatoes, you don’t eat the lemongrass or the galangal / ginger.
7. Note 2: The recipe above makes the traditional version of this soup, if you want something more filling, add rice noodles, or egg noodles when you add the prawns or chicken.
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 6 hours|
|Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group