QuietStove® Forum

The Online Community for QuietStove®
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Quietstove 123 Model
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:18 am 

Just received my stove cap and think the parts don't match up to my particular Svea stove.

I have an Optimus Svea 123R model from Amazon, brand new (1 week old) and I don't see how the Quietstove can secure itself within the bell housing without flipping over. There's no lip on the bell housing for the lip on the cap to secure itself and as of now, it's just "sitting" within the housing and I'm not confident that this is safe to operate with. I suspect there's supposed to be a variation of the Svea bell housing with an indentation in the bell housing for the cap's lip to sit inside. The inside of the bell housing on my Svea 123R is smooth.

Please advise.

Post subject: Re: Quietstove 123 Model
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 am 

I found a link to someone who experienced the same thing as I have, except I didn't operate my stove yet.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/show ... tid/28848/

The inside of my bell housing is the basically the same as this. Notice the smooth inside.

I suspect the Quietstove 123 requires the bell housing to look like this.

The only workaround I can see is doing what this gentleman did with wiring. I'm not convinced that this is its intended manner of operation nor does it look safe to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:19 am 
Site Admin

lockon wrote:
Just received my stove cap and think the parts don't match up to my particular Svea stove.

I have an Optimus Svea 123R model from Amazon, brand new (1 week old) and I don't see how the Quietstove can secure itself within the bell housing without flipping over. There's no lip on the bell housing for the lip on the cap to secure itself and as of now, it's just "sitting" within the housing and I'm not confident that this is safe to operate with. I suspect there's supposed to be a variation of the Svea bell housing with an indentation in the bell housing for the cap's lip to sit inside. The inside of the bell housing on my Svea 123R is smooth.

Please advise.

Hi James,

I received your earlier email and have replied to it. Once the QuietStove is fired it will snug up into the bell housing. Please give that a try and let me know the result.

Thanks,

Craig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:29 am 
Site Admin

lockon wrote:
I found a link to someone who experienced the same thing as I have, except I didn't operate my stove yet.

The only workaround I can see is doing what this gentleman did with wiring. I'm not convinced that this is its intended manner of operation nor does it look safe to me.

Give my suggestion a try and let me know the result. As for the gentleman who decided to wire his QuietStove to the bell housing - there is absolutely nothing wrong or "unsafe" with doing so.

Thanks,

Craig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:23 pm 

Hello Craig,

I have to admit that my issues stem from simply being inexperienced with this sort of "silencing cap". I would not have thought about how the cap needs to be heat pressed in and was concerned about damaging the Svea's brass housing. The instructions said to press hard until it seats so I wasn't sure about how to do that properly. I looked at the Quietstove cap, noticed the lip around the edge and automatically assumed there had to be an inner groove within the bell housing of the 123R.

From my observation it does appear that the Quietstove cap does seem to fit best when lightly "tapped" into place when the bell housing is placed on a surface (softer than brass like a rug) and positioned in place with a rubber mallet, rubber sandal or something similar. I'm not sure but I think the Quietstove is close to being perfectly round whereas the Svea bell housing is slightly off so it may need some "convincing" to properly position things in place. Once set, as you said the fired stove seems to cure it sufficiently in place. It works really well and stays put quite nicely.

Thank you for your advice, it really did help and now I can enjoy the sound of silence… if that makes any sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 am 
Site Admin

lockon wrote:
...it really did help and now I can enjoy the sound of silence…

Glad to read that! 8-)