QuietStove® Forum

The Online Community for QuietStove®
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:36 pm 

I was recently asked to do a review of your #107 and figured that this would be a good place to post it.

All around I think it is a useful product for someone that wants to expand the capability of their high performance white gas stove system. However, as others have posted here, I think that the price point is a little prohibitive.

The full review can be found here http://www.mycampsitereview.com/Gear.as ... odel%20107

I experienced trouble with performance on the XGK EX. I am not sure if there is a specific way to orient the arrow on the 107 for this stove, since the gas line is run very differently than on the Dragonfly.

All around an interesting and well designed product!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi outdoorgearhead,

Thank you for reviewing QuietStove.

I'm not sure why your XGK test result was vastly different from your Dragonfly test. What fuel type and jet were installed in each stove? Did you execute several iterations of the test or run each test once time and noted those results?

Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:15 am 

I attempted three burns with each stove. Both had the white gas nozzle installed running on white gas from the same tank (different canisters though) I started with a topped off MSR 11oz on the Dragonfly and a 2/3 full 22oz on the XGK.

The XGK was running sporadically on both burns with the QuietStove installed (the third burn was with the standard spreader). It did not "settle in" to the bell like it did when I ran it on the Dragonfly and there was a noticeable flame escaping from under the cap on occasion. Between tests with the XGK I checked the bell for intrusions and there was nothing preventing it from seating properly, so I am not sure why it wasn't. After the burns on the Dragonfly the seat was noticeable, I had to tap it out of the bell with my pliers to remove it. We made our best guess as to where the arrow should point while running it on the XGK since I was unable to find any literature stating if there was a preference on this stove as compared to the Dragonfly. If there is a preferred installation on the XGK I would be more than happy to try it again and contact the site owner to edit the review.

Honestly I think the QuietStove really shines when in use on the Dragonfly as compared to the XGK. Usually if I'm on a trip with my XGK its so cold out I just want to boil water and get into my sleeping bag.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Hi outdoorgearhead,

The rotational position of the QuietStove has nothing to do with its combustion characteristics. The arrow on the QuietStove is an indicator of which position it should rest in the stove so the gaps between the exit holes align with the pot support of the stove. Flames hitting the pot support are minimized when the gaps are aligned to the stove's pots support. The flame will hit the pot supports in the stock configuration. The QuietStove design minimizes flames hitting the pot supports.

Thanks,

Craig